Cargando ...
Se ha producido un error al cargar el contenido.

49561Psychiatrists Warn About Trump’s Mental State

Expandir mensajes
  • Ada Klein
    6 dic 15:59

      Opinion | Letter

      Psychiatrists Warn About Trump’s Mental State

      President Trump at a Navajo Veterans’ event in the White House this week. Credit Susan Walsh/Associated Press

      To the Editor:

      I am the editor of “The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists

      and Mental Health Experts Assess a President.” We represent a much larger

      number of concerned mental health professionals who have come forward to

      warn against the president’s psychological instability and the dangers it poses.

      We now number in the thousands

      We are currently witnessing more than his usual state of instability — in fact,

      a pattern of decompensation: increasing loss of touch with reality, marked

      signs of volatility and unpredictable behavior, and an attraction to violence as

      a means of coping. These characteristics place our country and the world at

      extreme risk of danger.

      Ordinarily, we carry out a routine process for treating people who are dangerous:

      containment, removal from access to weapons and an urgent evaluation. We

      have been unable to do so because of Mr. Trump’s status as president. But the

      power of the presidency and the type of arsenal he has access to should raise

      greater alarm, not less.

      We urge the public and the lawmakers of this country to push for an urgent

      evaluation of the president, for which we are in the process of developing a

      separate but independent expert panel, capable of meeting and carrying out

      all medical standards of care.

      BANDY X. LEE, NEW HAVEN

      The writer is a forensic psychiatrist at the Yale School of Medicine.